Waco Probation Revocation Attorney – (254) 230-9865

Jean Fair is a criminal law attorney and practices as a Waco probation revocation attorney. She regularly assist clients in McLennan County, Bell County, Brazos County, and other surrounding counties with probation revocations for adults and juveniles. If you or a loved one is facing probation revocation for a misdemeanor or felony, I would be happy to speak with you.

My rates are competitive for the Central Texas market and I offer flexible payment plans to better assist my clients. I offer flexible flat rate and hourly fees depending on the work required for your specific case.

Overall, my goal is to offer personalized representation at a reasonable and predicable price.

I currently accept payment via cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express.

If you are in need of a Waco probation revocation attorney, feel free to contact Waco probation revocation attorney Jean Fair via phone, text, or email.


Basics of Texas Probation Revocation

Probation revocations typically begin with the filing of a Motion to Revoke Probation, or for defendants on deferred adjudication, a Motion to Adjudicate.  These motions will list alleged probation violations, and an arrest warrant will be issued.

Common Violations

Common Violations for probation revocation include:

  • Committing a new offense while on probation
  • Failing to pay all fines and costs
  • Failing to report to your probation officer at the required times
  • Failing drug tests
  • Failing to complete mandated community service
  • Failing to completed mandated drug or alcohol classes

Differences between Regular Probation and Deferred Adjudication

Punishments and bond hearings for probation revocation in Texas depend on whether you were placed on regular probation or deferred adjudication.

If you were placed on regular probation, your original sentence will contain a maximum number of months or years that you can be sentenced to.  For example, if you are convicted of a class A misdemeanor, the maximum sentence you could receive is up to one year in jail and/or a $4,000.00 fine.  However, your original sentence will state that you are technically sentenced to a certain number of days and a certain fine (such as 180 days in jail with a $1,000.00 fine), but that this sentence will be probated for the duration of your probation period (15 months, 18 months, etc.).  If your probation is revoked, you cannot be sentenced for more than the amount (both days in jail and fine) listed in your original probation orders (in our example, 180 days in jail and $1,000.00 fine).  Furthermore, if you are on regular probation, you are entitled to have a bond hearing within 21 days.  However, it is possible that you may be held without bond for probation violations on regular probation.  It is important to speak with a defense attorney regarding this matter.

If your probation is revoked while you are on deferred adjudication, the may sentence you to up to the maximum penalty allowed by law for that offense.  For example, if you received deferred adjudication for a class A misdemeanor, the court could sentence you to 1 year in jail and a $4,000.00 fine (the maximum penalty allowed for class A misdemeanors) if that deferred adjudication probation is revoked.  Regarding bond, if you are on deferred adjudication, you are entitled to have a bond set after a probation violation.

Probation Revocation Hearings

Unlike criminal charges that offer the potential of a trial by jury, probation revocation hearings are administrative in nature and are always held in front of a judge. Simply put, there are no jury trials for probation revocations.  Furthermore, the burden of proof is lower for probation revocation hearings.  While a criminal trial requires proof beyond a reasonable doubt, probation revocation hearings only require that the state of Texas prove you committed a probation violation by a preponderance of the evidence, which is a much lower standard.

The Law Office of Jean Fair – Waco Probation Revocation Attorney – (254) 230-9865